Monday, December 13, 2010

Fork in the Road

Today is Monday, it's a good day for a personal crisis, well I thought so.  Damn bloggers, you are single- handedly ruining my life, you'd better hope something good comes of it because I know where you blog....that is without a doubt NOT a threat.

I think I've officially given up on Reverb10, although it was a nice frame of mind to be in even for but a moment, to commit to something for 31 days, it was just another thing that I wanted to do but, couldn't find the time.  I guess I could be writing one right now instead of this but, I much prefer to be narcissistic and write about myself than respond to a prompt.   

Things come into your life when you need them to, at the precisely the right time that they will actually mean something and inspire you to think of things in a whole new light.  Sometimes you just have to open your eyes and allow yourself to see.  So maybe I'm not able to fully commit to Reverb10 because I am just too lazy busy right now, however through it I stumbled upon an insane amount of posts from inspiring writers with valuable lessons to teach.

One of the thoughts that surfaced most often when reading was what part of my life, or what I "do" with my life rather, is actually significant?  I've always just settled with the notion that I do my best and I am currently raising a child so that should be adequate.  I mean raising a child, growing an adult, someone who is going to be a contributing member of society one day and if all goes well a betterment to the world.  Is that enough?  I used to think so....today, not so much. 

I read blog after blog, written words that were drawn from huge inspiration.  People who have fought cancer, travelled the world, taken in the needy or physically disabled, stood up for the abused and neglected.  People who have conquered the obesity battle, have overcome their darkest fears, have lost a child, have struggled through poverty and adversity.  People who make me question if anything I'm doing is actually going to matter, make a difference or nurture change.

This is definitely something I am going to ponder over the next few weeks.  I feel a bucket list coming on....squee!   No really...if the new year is meant to bring resolution then for 2011 I will focus on taking less and giving more.  I think Aidan has approached the age where it is important for him to start learning how to pay it forward, more than just theoretically.  He understands that giving back and doing for others is important, I'm just not sure he is mindful about anything beyond what Lego set he wants next.

We have definitely led by example in helping our community and people we are close with, I'm just not sure we've really ventured out too far beyond that scope in a meaningful way. 

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better.  It's not." 
~Dr. Seuss

- The St.Godard Brood Keeper (Mulling it over, one day at a time)

1 comment: