Sunday, December 12, 2010

Boy in the Kitchen, Episode 5

The boy in the kitchen is wearing me out!  You know when you start a tradition with your child and at first, it's all rainbows and gumdrops, then it gets a little tedious, and finally it becomes your worst nightmare (okay maybe that's just me)....we've officially crossed over to the dark side. 
I've created an 8 year old obsessive cooking psycho-child.  He is relentless and now has me making two things on Sundays and is slowly trying to brainwash coerce me into Saturdays too.


Why couldn't I have just taught the kid to order pizza and do laundry?  Not to mention he is a total control freak like me his dad and now he has to do ALL the steps himself, except for the mixing because his arms will fall off so he appoints me to that torture job.  You see pictures of him making Cheesy Quinoa Crackers....you don't see that we also made Chocolate Cinnamon Shortbread which has an aftertaste of baking soda because he insisted on doing it himself.  Guess who's having shortbread for breakfast, lunch and dinner for the next 2 weeks?
All joking and wasted money aside, I am really proud of him for being so pushy dedicated to cook each week.  We do enjoy spending the time together even though sometimes he notices me giving him the stink eye from across the room and then "accidentally" spills sesame seeds all over the floor.
 The nicest part about it is that because he is doing most of the "work" now, he just bolts out of the room once everything is in the oven.  I call him back to help clean and his response was "You always tell my Dad that whoever doesn't cook has to clean." 


I'm so happy to see my little kitchen Nazi boy growing up and developing his own interests and passions.  I still hope that one day this will all pay off and I won't have to do it anymore will come home to prepared delicious meals and baked goods.

Until then, I keep cooking with the cutest boy in the kitchen!  Apparently, next weekend we are making eggnog because the stuff we buy in the carton at the store is now beneath him.  Lord, help me Can't wait!




- The St.Godard Brood Keeper (aka Kitchen Slave)
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment