Thursday, February 03, 2011

Pieces of Me

My most recent diagnosis is Generalized Anxiety Disorder.  The arrhythmia that I have now is not consistent with any sort of actual heart problem but the cardiologist was able to tell that my heart rhythm increased at night the most (doing no activity) and could see palpitations that were sporadic all day.  My doctor has asked to see me tomorrow to discuss a plan of action....because apparently the GAD is bad enough now that I have been physically manifesting the worry (hence all the stress related illnesses).  So there it is...essentially the root cause of all my problems with a little bit of a genetic factor involved.

Anyone who knows me, knows this above all other diagnosis I could've received is the worst news on a personal level.  I'm sorry this is so depressing, I have written other (more pleasant) posts and have yet to finish them, today I am not thinking...or editing....I am just pouring it all out.  Something, apparently I need to do a lot more of without worrying what you out there think of it.  This has always been a sort of strange outlet for me but,  I have not used it to my full advantage.  Before the Canadian Weblog Award thing happened my posts were mostly about the goings-on of my family life...some were relatively entertaining but, mostly dry because I was worried about what you thought and how far to take it.  After the attention I received on this blog because of the awards it became an obsession to be perfect...the perfect writer, the funniest....the best.  I became very anxious about sitting down to write anything in case it wasn't good enough.  What I didn't realize is that it was always, and always will be good enough for me.  I do like that some people whether they are close to me or not take the time to peruse my blog, I like that some of you are invested in it.  So I've decided to continue after a month long hiatus with some new rules (or guidelines) for myself.   

I will write when I feel the need to....or when there is something worthwhile (to me) of writing.  If you are following me on Facebook as well, sometimes I will commit to write and then I don't.  The only piece of advice I have is to remember Sarah = in the moment, and then out of the moment.  My intentions are good but my execution is not always timely.

I will write like no one is reading.  This may become offensive, or depressing, or infuriating to some of you....I can get extreme and generally write when I am feeling really positive or really negative....I usually don't feel the need when I am on an even keel.  I urge you to not read it if you end up feeling that way, especially if you know me because my ups and downs are only a small part of who I am although it's when I feel I am most in tune with my thoughts (no matter how irrational or dramatic after the fact).  My blog is not generally a true reflection of who I really am....just how I am thinking at the time.

I will start using more curse words.  It's how I was brought up, it's how I think and it's hard to edit my train of thought when I need to search for words to replace them with.  As unintelligent as curse words can sometimes make me sound, my writing would be more honest using them the same way they appear in my internal dialogue.

Anyhoo, back to the GAD and I forgot earlier to say that my thyroid problem was never Grave's it is Hashimoto's Disease which I will write about in the future (but, I'm not making any promises haha).  I think it's a much better alternative to Grave's however so I am pleased with the diagnosis on that one.  I can't say I wished it was nothing because that would make me unmistakeably certifiable.  I am on a thin line enough with that one already.  Earlier I had written that this was the worst diagnosis for me...let me explain a little. 

Since I was a little girl I always heard my Dad call my mother crazy.  Being "crazy" was a bad thing, it made you weak, it made you pathetic, it made you expendable...dirty...and ugly.  He also called my half-brother's mother crazy.  Lots of people were "crazy" to him.  My fathers definition of crazy was essentially anyone who did the following (and not all at once):   Cried, got frustrated and then cried,
cried and then hyperventilated because they were pushed to extreme emotional limits, was depressed, slept in too long, felt overly sad about something, expressed pain when they were hurt physically or emotionally and you were really crazy if you ever talked about ending your own life...in fact you would then be taunted to actually go through with it and given a time limit to calm down before you were taken to Selkirk to be admitted.

Now, to you I may have just made my Dad out to be a total monster.  I assure you he is not.  He is a man that came from a different time, with a different set of rules.  He came from a Dad who was abusive, neglectful and spiteful.  He took care of himself for a great deal of his life...hard knocks so to speak.  He has learned to develop skin as thick as armour and for a period in his life I believe belittling anyone who showed emotion was the perfect way for him to gain the upper hand in a relationship and keep control in his life.  My Dad also had undiagnosed Hepatitis C for a major part of his adult life due to intravenous drug use.  This is not an excuse but, a definite factor in how he behaved.  We are in a much better place now, him and I and it as he becomes older and more humble and I become older and more mature we grow closer to finding that incredible bond we once shared when I was a young child and innocent and looked at life one day at a time through rose colored glasses....before the divorce shit storm happened which gutted that little girl.

It has been ingrained in me that having any sort of "in my head" related illness, disorder or syndrome is a weakness, a flaw, something to be ashamed of, something to be embarrassed by.  The first thought that popped into my head when the Dr. told me it was GAD was "well then I should just kill myself now because all this physical stuff is happening to me and I am making it all up.  Because I am crazy...just like my mother."  Secondly the thought "I should've never had a child, now he's going to end up just like his mother....how selfish of me."

I don't actually think my mom is crazy, I don't think I ever did.  I heard that a lot though when I was younger and troubled that I was "crazy" just. like. my. mother.  Everything bad about me is just. like. my. mother.  I don't know if you can even understand how fucking confusing that was....because at that time I felt loved by my mother and that was wrong because I HAD TO love my father.  Those two things could not co-exist.  If I loved my mother or felt loved by her it meant I didn't love my father.  This may not of been a problem if I didn't hold my father on the highest pedestal there was.

Yes, I have "daddy" issues.  It's fairly apparent isn't it?  The thing is that I don't blame him at all.  I still love him and hold him on the highest pedestal there is (don't tell him that though).  The problem is that I have never been able to get over the dark times, those contradictions, that push and pull feeling that I had for such a long time...I just managed to internalize it and the fight continued inside of me even when I didn't realize it was still there.

I see the Doctor tomorrow...she is going to want to put me on antidepressants.  Hopefully she knows me well enough to understand that I have been down that road more times than I will admit and it always leads to a dead end.  This time, I will refuse them.  There has to be another way, I have to learn to cope....I will need help.  I don't know how to change.   Crazy will always be in the back of my mind now, I will stay up and worry about it later....because I don't know another way.  This is who I am.


- The St.Godard Brood Keeper

4 comments:

  1. beautiful and honest. This sounded just like you do when we talk. I am proud of you. You just faced one of your biggest fears, and you did it with grace and beauty. In the days to come when you are angry at the diagnosis and the little setbacks that will come at times, go back to this post and remeber who you were at this moment, what you were feeling when you wrote it. remeber the courage it took to post this post and feel that surge of pride that you deserve to feel for this post and for everything you do in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ps I like the new look for the blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the 'attitude' of this post...the tragedy of the little girl 'gutted' continuing to suffer from post traumatic(divorce)stress into her adult life (GAD) finally, unapologetically 'curses' how weary she is of internalizing that anxiety and having it manifest into physical symptoms...
    You are not "crazy like your mother" ; you are 'your own crazy' capable, creative, sensitive self ...
    I am ending this post as usual by quoting from an article that I found which summarizes what I would have written to explain your GAD if someone else ( I didn't bother to note who) hadn't already written it for me ....
    In my experience, if you are dealing with anxiety problems in your life, there is a 90% chance that you are a “sensitive” person. Sensitivity is a double-edged sword: it is usually accompanied by high intelligence, creativity and the capacity for self reflection, and all of these qualities are great, of course. But sensitivity also has a downside — sensitive people tend to have more emotional issues and self esteem problems than their less sensitive friends or family members.
    Because of this, it is really important that sensitive people learn to focus their attention, discipline their thinking and get an attiutude! Without this, the creativity and self reflection that sensitive people are known for can quickly turn to the “dark side” and cause them to obsess on unproductive thoughts and imagine worst-case scenarios. AND, they can find themselves trying to follow the lead of the less-sensitive people around them, instead of recognizing their own power (a disastrous mistake!).
    So let me be very clear about this. Being sensitive is NOT a handicap or disadvantage in ANY way! Sensitivity equals capability. The less sensitive a person is, the less capability they have and very often, the less creativity they will have.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah,it's been a while since we last communicated.Much too long.After reading your last post I realized the connection I felt with you was not imagined,but indeed a real thing.I've known you since you were a child and know you to be a good,kind and very sensitive person.These are not traits easily excepted in our society.Most people DO consider these qualities as a weakness and will try to take advantage or not take you seriously.I am happy for you that you are now in a place where you are ignoring the outer influences to your inner conflict and can apply yourself to who you are,accepting yourself and being comfortable with who you are.Not an easy task,but not impossible.I for one would like to see the true Sarah emerge so all that know her can reap the benefits.

    ReplyDelete