Sunday, November 28, 2010

Sunday Baking With a Boy in the Kitchen, Episode #3

Well, we gave baking a shot today and for some strange reason (named Husband).  The icing was the consistency of nacho cheese and ended up melting down the sides of the first 6 cupcakes....yes it took me 6 cupcakes before I realized this was happening, does this mean I'm stupid?  Maybe, moving on.  Aidan thought it was pretty darn funny, and his mockery seemed to increase the angrier I became.  Whatever, okay so I'm not the icing queen...pffft at least the cupcake part was good.  I decided to add more confectioners sugar to thicken the icing and that worked....a little.  So if you have cavities, I would stay far away from my cupcakes as the icing kind of just is sugar at this point.


On a positive note....I am a thief....yep, cold hard criminal in the making.  Today I decided to stop in at Canadian Tire, a friend tipped me off that they had those magnetic spice containers and I have wanted them FOREVER!  You see I have over 36 different spices/herbs and blends (mostly because I am a spice hoarder) and they are scattered in various places in my kitchen.  This becomes an issue when I tell Aidan to go fetch a certain spice and 15 minutes later I find him buried in them trying to find the correct item.  Anyway, so to buy the containers individually they were $1.99/each.  I decided to just grab a box behind the display that was unopened and had 24 containers in it.  That was a good start I thought....headed off to the check out, grabbing a snazzy mini grater on the way.  Beep, bloop (that's the sound of the scanner).  This is the checkout girl: "That will be $8.54 please."  I looked at her, kind of stunned, processing the price in my mind.  Then my mind says "Shut up, pay and run!!!"  So that's what I did....I think I broke a sweat waiting for my card to be approved....please don't notice, please don't notice.  Then it happened....she put the items in the bag, handed me the receipt and I booked it out of the store before she could realize that she scanned the box, which only had the price of each individual container.  So I saved myself $45.77 to be exact and it felt pretty darn tootin'.  I'm sure it will come back to haunt me at some point.  Now I'm going to be completely paranoid that every bad thing that happens to me from that moment on is directly related to the fact that I was purposely dishonest but, it's totally worth it! 

The cupcakes we made were Chocolate Pumpkin Cupcakes with crappy delicious Orange Cream Cheese Icing.  Aidan thinks he wants to be a baker when he grows up, I told him he better find a new teacher then because I am no baker....also told him there's much more money in plastic surgery because if I stop myself from saying things like that I would win way too many "Mom of the Universe" awards.  He loves me anyway because I give him cupcakes 5 minutes before he has to go to bed, I am that good of a mom, you should try not to be so jealous.

As you can see from the pictures, the Husband came up to help mix the icing while I cleaned up the baking shit storm that was my kitchen. I think he mixed it for about 243 minutes while trying to look sexy for the picture, therefore I blame him for the nacho cheese icing.

I have awarded Aidan the title of Official Egg Cracker because he has become very efficient in the art of egg crackery.  So if he learns nothing else from me, he can always tell people I taught him to crack an egg.  I've pretty much done my job as a mother.

- The St.Godard Brood Keeper  (baker extraordi-NOT)



Sarah, don't you think I look sexy mixing this nacho cheese icing?

The Russian Egg Dance
The Stolen Spice Rack








Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

  1. HAHAHAAAA!!!! Hilarous Sarah! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like that spice rack!!!!!!!!!! Judd does look sexy mixing the Nacho Cheese icing, I love that picture of Aidan and the cup cake, you are an EXCEPTIONAL mom,Cup cake looks delicious except that orange is a little large and I TOTALLY get that waiting for the card to go through sweat and run. ''It was a gift to your AWESOMENESS''. ''KC''

    ReplyDelete